Friday, June 12, 2015

Friendship is a Gift

We live in a culture where competition and one-upmanship and proving ourselves is rampant.  That sort of atmosphere is difficult for anyone, but I think it is exceptionally hard on women, and in particular, mothers.  We love with a love so fierce, and we want to do right by our children.  We are acutely aware of our own weaknesses and failures.  You throw in a world that thinks it is its' job to give their opinion about everything and point out a better way; its amazing we aren't all living in a deep depression and that any of us can get up in the morning.

In this sort of climate, some may wonder if it's even possible to go through life and let yourself be seen.  Really seen. To let your soul bare itself and know that you will not be rejected.  You will not be judged.  Now, that is not to say, that people should never tell you that you have stuff you need to work on, or question you.  It means that they will still look you in the eye and see you.  Even when you are far from your best self.

I had the privilege of spending a beautiful evening with a few of these type of people last night.  I don't see these ladies often (and there were a few who weren't able to be here), but whenever I do, my soul is refreshed.  I have known some of these women since I was 8 years old.  The rest since I was 12 or 13.  They know me.  They know my crazy, how weak I can be, and ultimately, how I have gotten to be the person I am today.  They have been with me the whole time on this life's journey.  And they are a treasure of greatest value.

If you don't have these kind of people in your life...pray to find some.  Because life is too short and too hard to not have people you can call and laugh with over everything and nothing.  But also call when you are at your deepest and darkest and then still be able to stand tall and look them in the eye the next day, because you know that they love you and will never leave you.  And they can see you even when you sometimes can't see yourself.

Thanks for an amazing evening, ladies!!!  ~until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment